Fossil Day at Civic
July 18, 2019
Eugene Civic Alliance invites children ages 5 and up to a fossil dig event at the Civic Park site! Chambers Construction unearthed some aquatic fossils during some decent digging on the Civic site and we want to share them! That’s why we’re hosting a free event for children ages 5 and up to come and hunt for fossils among the pile of recently-unearthed rock.
Researchers from the University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History will be on-site to answer questions and share their expertise on the fascinating fossils found at the Civic Park site! Parents can register their children for one of two shifts on Thursday, July 25th. Each shift will last for one hour with the first shift beginning at 9:30AM and the second at 10:30AM.
Event Rules and Info
- All children must be accompanied by an adult for the duration of the event.
- Although the event is free, registration for Shift 1 or Shift 2 is required to ensure there is enough space for each child around the rock pile.
- Closed-toed shoes are required on the site. No shorts, skirts, or dresses are allowed.
- All event attendees must remain in the designated event area. Access to the rest of the Civic site is strictly prohibited.
- Children are encouraged to bring a water bottle, safety glasses, and newspaper for wrapping their fossils.